Happy birthday this week to Brad, Greggie, Andrea, Kristen, etc.
We had parent-teacher conferences this week, and the kids are doing well in school. Ironically, both Arianna’s and Carlos’s teachers said that they don’t speak up enough in class; I indicated that this news made me jealous since we can’t get a moment’s silence at home!
Yesterday, we went to Disneyland and enjoyed its Christmastime theme. Kirk and I really enjoy the decorations. Thanks to Carlos, we now spend most of our time in the ‘Happiest Place on Earth’ in Tomorrowland (Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Space Mountain, etc.). Not very Christmasy but still fun.
Today, Kirk taught adult Sunday School and I taught the women’s class. Technically, I’m in charge of music for the ward, but that doesn’t spare you from teaching, too. J I did feel bad though because I had wanted to organize a small musical arrangement for today’s sacrament meeting but simply didn’t have the time (we’ve missed the past 3 weeks of church). Maybe I can still put something together for the beginning of January.
Tonight, we attended a live nativity. One fun (but we’re still not used to it) part of living in the LA area is that there is a lot of musical and acting talent in the local churches. So the people who acted and sang in the live nativity really were very good. At each stop (Herod’s castle, wise men’s camp, angels’ heavenly hang out, shepherds’ hill, crowded inn, and nativity stable), the kids collected a few treats (animal crackers from the wise men, candy canes from the shepherds), so they enjoyed it, too. However, Herod was pretty scary and Carlos nearly wet himself in fear of the operatic tyrant.
Our nightly Christmas carol/hymn activity is going well. Arianna really enjoys learning the songs, and I’ve been surprised to remember/realize how many Christmas hymns there are: you really can do one a night for the 25 days of December!
Enjoy the season!
Songs we learned this December:
ReplyDeleteJoy to the World
Angels We Have Heard on High
Hark, the Herald Angels Sing
Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful
Silent Night
Once in Royal David's City
Away in a Manger
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
O Little Town of Bethlehem
The First Noel
With Wondering Awe
Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day