We are grateful for a good week. Here's the gist of our happenings.
- Carlos is making great progress with decoding words (learning to read).
- Kirk enjoyed a pleasantly normal workweek.
- Arianna ate her last taco for 2 years.
- I discovered my first gray hair.
Our newsworthy event occurred
on Friday when Arianna got braces!
I was really worried for her because I
remember the pain involved in this procedure, but Arianna was super brave and
cooperative.
Nowadays, braces have really become a fashion statement: you can choose from a variety of bracket shapes (Arie chose stars and hearts, no surprise) and band colors (Arie chose pink, blue, and green).
Her orthodontist
gave her a cool new electric toothbrush with a head specifically made for
brushing teeth with braces, and Arianna can earn points toward prizes (ex: gift
cards, MP3 players) for taking good care of her teeth.
I kept Arianna home from school
on Friday because I was worried that her mouth would be sore. But she felt fine
in the morning, so we had some special girls’ time and went shopping. Arie
emerged from Kohl’s with some pretty cute outfits. We also read some chapters
from Harry Potter 5 together, and then Arie settled in to watch Pirates of the
Caribbean 2 (my kids LOVE the scenes with Carloses).
We didn’t do anything special for St. Patrick’s Day, but maybe that’s just as well: in the past, Kirk has balked at my dyed-green dinners. Our non-holiday made me nostalgic for McFinn’s in Indiana, where we used to go for authentic “bangers and mash.” (OK, maybe we really went there to listen to the people’s accents, but we also ate.) Instead, we began working our way through the 30 cans of soup that I stocked in anticipation of Arie’s sore mouth.
This coming week has some
exciting highlights.
- I have a Round 3 interview at a high-risk high
school.
- Kirk departs for two weeks in Russia, Kazahkstan, and Switzerland.
- The kids’ school is collaborating with Barnes
& Noble for a French book fair.
- And, of course, the “Hunger Games” movie comes
out on Friday.
Let the good times roll!

No comments:
Post a Comment