Tomorrow marks the 1 year date of our move to Encino! We have been surprised to find ourselves so happy in "The Valley" and hope for many more years here.
| May's eclipse lit up our house and made crescent patterns through the tree's leaves |
Week 1 of the no-yeast, no-dairy diet was harsh. We discovered even more foods that contain yeast (things with citric acid, for example), and our range of options dwindled alarmingly. Rice. Vegetables. Some meats. Some fruits. We exhausted the possibilities within those four categories and yet spent the week feeling empty. One more week to go before Arianna’s 10th birthday, and then we intend to celebrate through pure gluttony. Arianna has not noticed any changes as a result of the allergen-free diet, so we are all hoping that her doctor will allow us some wiggle room with diet’s restrictions after the coming week of suffering.
![]() |
| come back to me, my love! |
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5Oqp7ge1kfMNGdFaS1OM0JRWnc
On Thursday, Carlos's kindergarten class went to LACMA. His teacher wrote about their experience at http://grandesectionwv.over-blog.com/article-le-lacma-106618915.html.
Carlos played his last soccer game of the school year on Saturday. His team had to forfeit a couple of games during spring break, but they went undefeated for the rest of the season (April-June). Kirk has really enjoyed helping coach the LILA lions; we hope that his transition into a domestic role at Medtronic will allow him to enjoy more father-son-soccer time. Carlos is an enthusiastic fan of Coach Dad.
Carlos played his last soccer game of the school year on Saturday. His team had to forfeit a couple of games during spring break, but they went undefeated for the rest of the season (April-June). Kirk has really enjoyed helping coach the LILA lions; we hope that his transition into a domestic role at Medtronic will allow him to enjoy more father-son-soccer time. Carlos is an enthusiastic fan of Coach Dad.
Kirk joined us for only a few days this week before leaving on another business trip, this time to Philadelphia. He gets to drop in on some old MBA buddies before returning to us on Tuesday.
This week, I helped host the Scholastic Book Fair at LILA. It’s probably not a surprise that I can’t keep myself away from the combination of a French school + English books, but a real surprise came in our end-of-week earnings: our tiny campus of roughly 130 students netted $870 (gross $2175) in sales! I love making LILA a better place for my kids!
On Saturday night, I was back with the LILA crowd for an end-of-the-year sendoff party: our principal is moving up to direct LILA’s new secondary campus in Burbank, and a few of the teachers are moving to other states and countries (but not because of the change in leadership). Parents and teachers “gambled” with funny money to earn raffle tickets towards class art projects and other prizes. Since I led the effort for the 4th grade art project, I was glad to see it sell well.
We are so lucky to have a tightknit family of parents and teachers at LILA; I couldn’t wish for a better education for my kids or a better group of friends!
Tonight, we finished reading the Harry Potter series. It has been such a joy to share these imaginative stories with my kids and to watch their minds light up with curiosity. It's my second time reading the series, and I discovered that I enjoyed the books even more than before--maybe because I had the luxury of savoring each bit instead of rushing to the resolution. When I wonder if our world is full of redundancies, people like J.K. Rowling remind me that creativity has no limits.
![]() |
| only the British version would do, of course! |



No comments:
Post a Comment