Dear
famlings and friendlings,
This week
was pretty pleasant and calm (calm=pleasant) for our family.
Carlos has a
new favorite book, David Gets in Trouble,
by David Shannon. He checked it out from the school’s library and asks us to
read it daily. Carlos’s AYSO game was cancelled yesterday due to rain, but his
LILA team still played. He is such a natural soccer player—it’s just amazing!
Today, Carlos discovered that one of his AYSO teammates attends our ward from
time to time; I told Carlos this was an excellent friendshipping opportunity, and
he was like, “Blah, blah, blah.” (LILA plays its matches at the YMCA, thus the jerseys. Carlos is #17.)
Arianna read
books one and two of the Spiderwick Chronicles. We also finished book 7 of the
Charlie Bone series (I read it to Arie). She is also into making crafts and
writing stories. I wish I could say that I smile on these activities, but it’s
hard for me to deal with the amount of mess that they generate. (Case and
point, Kirk just caught her doing watercolor painting directly on the coffee
table.)
One of our
big concerns for Arie right now is that she is not eating well. She even turns
up her nose to kids’ classics like Mac-n-Cheese. In August, we learned that
this sort of obstinate anorexia has caused Arie to “fall off” her growth curve:
she used to be around 98% for height and is now around 30%; most troubling, her
weight is at 5%. She is visibly shrinking compared to her peers. The disturbing
part of this is that she takes pride in being exceptionally skinny.
In high school,
I finished Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
with the juniors; next week, they will start The Great Gatsby. The freshmen began To Kill a Mockingbird last week. Nothing dramatic happened this
week, but I am beginning to feel melancholy: this coming week is my last. I
really love many of the students and know that leaving them will feel like a
high school romance break up. :-}
On Friday, I
learned that I passed my Teaching Performance Assessments; I was the only
individual in my single-subject cohort to pass with 100% accuracy! Thank you to
everyone who sent blessings my way; I could not have done it alone. So, the
next step is to apply to the districts and private schools for a job. Until
something comes along, I suppose I will have no choice but to sub. :-P
Kirk had a
good week at work. Yesterday, he did the unthinkable and played church
basketball. I was proud of him for the effort (basketball is not one of his
interests, and I can honestly say that I’m probably better at it than he is).
Unfortunately, he jammed/sprained a finger badly. Ah, the casualties of church
ball!
We have no
further news about Grandma Monson, and I am proud of her for hanging on another
week. We are especially impressed by the excellent care that her children and
hospice workers give her. We’re glad that she can at least be comfortable
during these final days.
Last week, I
mentioned my nephew’s terrible brain injury. It was a scary and tentative week
as we waited to see if he would survive. Although he is recovering, an MRI scan
shows that his right parietal lobe died and his occipital and right temporal
lobes suffered damage. We may not know the full effects of the Traumatic Brain
Injury (TBI) for years to come. However, Noah is responding in ways that seem
to contradict the MRI scan: he can still recognize people, grasp objects, and
move both sides of his body. Already, his continued life is a miracle, but we
all hope and pray for further miracles on his behalf. Every baby seems to have
a “spill” story; this one simply was the one-in-a-million fluke tragedy. We
have to trust that God has a purpose and plan for little Noah, despite this
lifelong hardship.
Noah is home
now with his parents Andrew and Kristen and big brother Asher. Asher, who turns
2 this week, has a Baby Noah doll from the hospital. Nurses taught Asher about
how to touch Baby Noah now that he has some new scars and challenges. The doll
looks just like the real Baby Noah—Darth Vader scars and stiches included! Happy
birthday, Asher, and prayers and kisses to Baby Noah!
Lots of
love,
Lauren and family
Lauren and family



No comments:
Post a Comment