Sunday, November 20, 2011

Update 20 November 2011


This week, Kirk hosted some international visitors at work. On these kinds of weeks, he often works long hours. I should feel bad for him, but I can't get my mind past the fact that he is dining on filet mignon in wine-reduction mushroom shitake sauce with gorgonza sprinkles when I am eating spaghetti with the beasties.    LOL. 

Now Kirk is jumping in to point out that he went on dates with each member of the family this week: Carlos -> frosties, Arianna -> Jamba Juice, Lauren -> "Breaking Dawn." 

We also attended a meeting at LILA's Los Feliz campus (the middle and high school), where we learned that our principal Mr. Plancke is being promoted to the principal at Los Feliz (happy and sad--he's fabulous).

Kirk injured his pinky last Saturday and discovered later in the week that he had a chip fracture. He has been trying out the various splint options and has been a stoic, albeit broken, man.

I finished my last week of student teaching. The kids were great: they tackled me with hugs, wrote me notes, and gave me a card. It was so touching! I was really blessed to enjoy such a happy and smooth student teaching experience. I am now ready to teach full time, if a job comes along. Right now (after 15 months), I have a preliminary teaching credential. After I begin teaching and complete two more years of work, I will have the full credential. It's been a lot of work (a bit overkill, if you ask most people), but I know that it's going to ensure that California has exceptional teachers from here on out. P.S. I was the only person in my cohort to get full points on the Teaching Performance Assessments for the state of California!  

My back has been in a lot of pain this week--probably because I'm internalizing the stress of leaving my students and student teaching assignment. Ah, love "hurts so bad."  



Arianna is really excited about the upcoming holidays. LILA is hosting a Thanksgiving feast for the kids on Tuesday, and Arianna prepared a speech for the feast. I am really glad that my student teaching ended just in time for me to participate in the feast, too. Kirk has attended the feasts these last two years, and now it's my turn!    

Carlos played his last AYSO game of the season and is approaching the end of this semester's LILA soccer. We are really amazed by how talented he is. These past couple of days, he's been struggling with asthma or a cold or something. 

Our sad news this week is that Grandma Monson passed away yesterday (Saturday) morning. However, our sadness is only selfish, because we know that she was ready and eager to cross over into the next phase of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment