This past week, we had the pleasure of hosting Marvin for a few days. On Monday, we hiked a nature trail in the Temescal Canyon Gateway Park. The waterfall at the end of the trail was disappointing, but the rest of the hike was pleasant, thanks to exceptionally beautiful weather (blue skies plus temperatures in the high 70s and low 80s all week!) That evening, we met at a local California Pizza Kitchen for Kristina’s 38th birthday dinner.
Kirk had to return to work on Tuesday, which gave Marvin a good excuse to visit a clinic in hopes of getting a diagnosis for his general malaise. He returned with a diagnosis of bacterial pink eye and a “probably bacterial” throat infection! We felt awful that he traveled when he was feeling so sick, but we were also impressed (flattered, really!) by his love and dedication on our behalf. The USPS creed sort of comes to mind: "Neither [flu] nor [pink eye] nor [throat infection] nor [Singapore-induced jet lag] stays [this Papa] from the swift completion of [his] appointed [visits]."
In the meantime, Arianna and I finished her report on the Santa Barbara Mission. We were all grateful to have completed the mission model before the holidays and joked about probably being the only family finished with the whole project (model + report) before that evening. I really enjoyed learning about California’s history and early people with Arianna, but I am glad to have such a big assignment done.
In the meantime, Arianna and I finished her report on the Santa Barbara Mission. We were all grateful to have completed the mission model before the holidays and joked about probably being the only family finished with the whole project (model + report) before that evening. I really enjoyed learning about California’s history and early people with Arianna, but I am glad to have such a big assignment done.
Tuesday evening, Marvin kindly treated us to a delicious French dinner in honor of Kirk’s 36th birthday (upcoming on January 22nd). I fell in love with the beurre blanc sauce and plan to revisit it in the future. J
The kids returned to school on Wednesday, and Marvin accompanied us to ensure that the mission model arrived in one piece. Arianna’s model was the only one to feature a farm with fields and livestock (pigs, of course!). It was a treat to see the 4th graders arriving with their masterpieces, and I look forward to attending their presentations to the parents.
Marvin returned to Indiana on Wednesday with strict instructions from me to NOT get out of his bathrobe for three days. Hopefully now he will get the rest he needs to recover from his various sicknesses.
The rest of the school week was fairly uneventful, and I was grateful for a half week to ease us back into the schedule. Yesterday, we worked on some projects around the house in the morning and then visited Disneyland in the evening. It was fun to see the park lit up for Christmas for the last time of the season, and we enjoyed a particularly wonderful fireworks display. P.S. - Disney contacted me for a survey because we are annual pass holders; apparently the Peter Pan ride is up for review.
This coming week is Carlos's "Gotcha Day" (January 14th). I just can't put into words how much we love him, how much he blesses us, and how grateful I am to his birth mom. Please take a moment this week to write Carlos a message or draw him a picture that he can keep in his scrapbook. Thank you for making the effort to help him feel loved and appreciated.
No comments:
Post a Comment