Monday, May 21, 2012

update 20 May 2012



This week, I had an interview on Wednesday and an immediate callback teaching interview on Thursday. We’ll see what happens there.
 

Also on Wednesday, Arianna went on a field trip to Knott’s Berry Farm. The students spent the day panning for gold in the (re-created) Wild West. However, what Arianna reported at home was that they went shopping at a souvenir shop and took a plunge down the log flume!


On Friday, Arianna presented a poem that’s written from the point of view of a moth. I don’t have the video, but you can watch it from my facebook page (thanks to fellow 4th-grade mom Coralie).

Arianna, Carlos, and I spent Friday evening at a super fun birthday party at the Sky High Trampoline Park. Carlos expended so much energy that he could have swam home in his own sweat!


On Saturday, Arianna and I attended a baby shower for Lorna, who is both a church friend of mine and the mother of one of Arianna’s classmates. Lorna is from Tahiti, so we enjoyed a wide array of yummy and exotic foods. While I pigged out on the coconut rice, Arianna loaded up on crevettes (ceviche). Lorna’s in utero daughter is just one data point in a larger baby boom phenomenon happening at church; I have been in heaven with so many newborns to adore! I can’t wait to snuggle Lorna’s baby, too.


Carlos’s soccer team scored another victory for LILA on Saturday. It’s so fun to have a boy who is *so boy* and *so talented.* However, Kirk’s postgame excitement over the LILA victory was quickly deflated when Chelsea (read: Evil Empire) won the Champions League in soccer. For such a usually mellow guy, sports certainly do have a manic-depressive effect on Kirk!

Tonight, we caught an incomplete glimpse of the eclipse. From our vantage point, the moon crossed over the son from the right and then looped upwards in an “L,” exiting through the top. So, instead of experiencing sudden darkness, we had blinding sunlight pouring over us throughout the moon’s movements. I enjoyed the rare occasion, but it was lost on the kids—who instead focused on the fact that their nerdy mom was the only one in the street wearing sunglasses and snapping pictures, LOL.

this picture is also on CNN's iReport (yay me)

This coming week, Kirk is off to Kazahkstan as he wraps up his international role. Although he’s received many sad responses to this change from his international contacts, the most touching came from a Russian who, at a loss for words, simply repeated, “Oh Kirk.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment