Sunday, January 24, 2010

Christmas Highlights

We are progressing far enough from December 25th that is it time to stop recovering memories in favor of highlighting some of our favorite events during the Christmas week.





-          Old people. It was a special privilege to enjoy Christmastime with my grandparents. Some of my favorite memories from the whole 2009 holiday season came as I observed my children seeking out their “greats” for stories and snuggles. Arianna especially loved Great-grandma’s magical back tickling.
-          Food. I suppose food appears on many of our lists, and it will always appear on mine. We feasted on a lavish ham and turkey Christmas dinner, which helped to offset our prodigal consumption of Heidi’s cookies.
-          Scarves. Thanks to the proceeds of her 25th birthday celebration, Heidi’s neck will be very, very warm this winter.

-          Acquire. Was it luck or the MBA advantage that allowed Kirk to dethrone David as CEO of capitalism? I was pleasantly relieved to find that the game is easier than it appears, and I made out better than Arie’s post-crash college fund.
-          The Dream House. That Santa guy really took Arie’s letter to heart. He answered her wish for a “surprise” with Barbie’s snazzy Dream Townhouse, complete with elevator and hot tub. Now I know what to ask for next year...
-          Kachow. That’s right. Now the boy with the Lightning McQueen Power Wheels also has a Lightning McQueen bike! Not quite the adult-size motorcycle that Carlos really wanted, but the Chubber was more than satisfied.
-          Clean is our family tradition. Not ours, but the Bissells.’ Mommy thanks her three mess makers for the deep-cleaning antidote to a family. For my birthday, I’d like the attachment that does kids.

-          The world’s a stage. Kirk was flattered when homebody Lauren took him on a date to see the theater production of “The Lion King.” Watch out next Halloween! He may have discovered his costume inspiration in Scar’s elaborate ensemble.
-          Jingle Bells. Carlos, who previously resisted learning Christmas carols, became a great defender of this simple (and somewhat outmoded) song. Don’t sing hosannas to any other tune or he might tackle you.
-          Playmates. From park equipment to balloon animals, Arie and Carlos rekindled long-distance friendships with the next generation of DHS students.
-          IHOP. Thanks to regulars and first-time attendees, our DHS mini-reunion was nothing short of spectacular. It’s fascinating to watch each other grow up, and I loved catching up on our varied interests and jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment